Friday, January 2, 2009

WALK DON'T RUN

Everywhere outside you'll see joggers. Joggers on tracks, joggers on the street. Jogging is great. I used to jog when I was much younger. It's pretty hard on the knees and hips unless you are a person built for it - slight frame, no extra fat. I'm not built like that. I was jogging and playing racquetball. Fast forward 20 years - actually, limp forward 20 years - into the tender mercies of an orthopedic surgeon and two knee replacments in the past 5 years!! Now, I walk!

There are two advantages to jogging that I know about. Takes less time and you get into the mental 'zone' quicker. That's it. You don't lose more weight, get a better workout, or become more virtuous - no matter what the joggers tell you. LOL. You don't feel better. Anything a jog can get you, a walk can get you - and safer. Safer for your knees, your hips, the traffic....

I've got nothing against jogging. Some days, I wish I could just take off running like I did when I was in my thirties. But, those days are gone - and should never have occurred! Walking for the past 10 years or so has given me a better appreciation for what my body needs and can endure, what I want to get out of a work-out, and how I view the world around me. I was a competitive racquetball player - which meant I was a competitive jogger. I didn't want anyone to beat me!

Walking slows all that down. Slows down my innately competitive nature. Slows down the mad, mad, mad world. Give me a chance to appreciate what I'm walking past so I can view the kiddies, the animals, the flowers, the people. I like to walk at a fast clip and keep my heart rate up - but if I have to stop for traffic or a neighbor, that's okay. Nothing bad will happen. I'll just build it back up again and continue on. Nothing lost.

My advice to anyone who wishes to start or supplement any sort of exercise plan is to, simply, walk. It's so easy, so natural. So much to gain and so little to lose. Walk it off!


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: