Tuesday, January 27, 2009

KEEPING PACE




I have discovered that keeping up a good pace is essential for my getting in a good walk. I am fortunate to have an Ipod since my kids convinced my husband a couple of years ago that I NEEDED one for Mother's Day. I had no idea how to turn on the thing much less download music, but I learned. I still have to ask the kids for help with glitches, you know.

Anyway, the Ipod is the perfect walk accompaniment, second only to a great pair of shoes. Before the Ipod, I used a variety of devices, including a 'walkman' type cassette player, a portable CD player, and a teensy portable AM/FM radio. The 'walkman' works fine. The portable CD player, at least the one I own, is not a good idea for walking as it skipped with each of my strides. Quite frustrating. The radio was fine, although there was often too much talk on it and not enough music, especially music of the beats per minute I wanted/needed. But, short of a great walking human companion, a portable music device is perfect for walks.

I have done some more research on numbers. This time, the numbers refer to beats per minute (BPM) and miles per hour (MPH). These numbers are important if you want to get the most benefit out of your work out. Here's an article that gives a nice overview of these significant figures:
http://selfgrowth.com/articles/sundquist.html

Now, all those numbers are nice to know - but how can you use them to your advantage? Here's the deal. Choosing the right music can really boost your motivation and energy. Don't believe me? Try it. Put on a ballad and try to boogie to it. Can't be done. Put on some Salsa or Disco and you'll find yourself moving all around the room.



So, if you have access, you need to develop your own playlist. If you walk indoors, you can perhaps create a tape or CD for your personal use - one that contains songs in the right BPM for you. Refer to the article linked above to determine which BPM level you want. I'm at approximately 130 BPM, so my playlist will be tailored to that.

Stay 'tuned' for a sample of my playlist soon.


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: