Sunday, January 11, 2009

ON WALKING - THOREAU'S COMMENTARY

Ok, so I have this degree in English, but I never really read Thoreau. You know that guy who wrote about Walden Pond. He was one of the first ecologist or naturalists, if you prefer. I have read excerpts of his writing, but can assure you that I never read an entire work of his.

I recently ran across an article on 'Walking' written by Thoreau. I got sucked right in. I must say that it was an entirely enjoyable read and one that I recommend. You can see it here:
http://www.transcendentalists.com/walking.htm

I don't get much into those philosophical categories - transcendentalist, surrealist, realist, pragmatist. Too hard to keep them all straight.

What gets me is that Transcendentalist or whatever, HE REALLY GETS IT! Or, maybe it's I who finally 'gets it'. But, I especially like the part where he writes, "...shopkeepers stay in their shops not only all the forenoon, but all the afternoon too, sitting with crossed legs, so many of them--as if the legs were made to sit upon, and not to stand or walk upon...." I THOUGHT I came up with that line - that legs (feet) were made to walk on. But, I guess Thoreau beat me to it. That's okay. He was a Great Thinker. I'm just a blogger who would like nothing more than to have the entire world go for a walk every day. Maybe Thoreau and I have more in common than I ever knew.
***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: