Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WAKING UP

I'm NOT a morning person. For years, I had to arise at 5:30 AM or earlier than 8:30 AM for a variety of reasons - job, kids, etc. No longer! I'm a night owl and I finally get to sleep the hours that suit my body best which usually means that if I can sleep til 8:30 AM, I'm fine no matter how late I went to bed.

However, there are those occasional days when I must get up earlier or when I just haven't had enough sleep. Also, I'm a person who is adversely affected by gray days and a lack of sunshine. Now, they have a name for it SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or something like that. I used to call it my 'turtle' days when I would go to work in the dark, work all day in an office with no windows, and drive home at 5:30 PM almost in the dark. Those were rotten days for me.

For years, I ran a Learning Center for teens in substance abuse recovery. These kids, as are most teens, are all sleep deprived. They stay up too late, get up with too little sleep, eat poorly, and get almost no physical activity. Getting and keeping them alert was a constant issue for me. Here's what I figured out that worked 100% of the time - jumping jacks! Simple!




Even Santa needs to do jumping jacks some years!

I'd make the kid go through the motions even if s/he didn't actually do the jumping part. I'd move my arms in the same motion. Twenty of those and the kid was awake and ready to work. I also got them a frisbee to use during our 15 minute breaks from study. They always came back to their books in a better frame of mind and performed better.

Now, with so few kids getting any form of physical activity - even recess - in most schools, it's no wonder that they're all getting fat and depressed (yes, depressed. Why else do you think so many kids turn to drugs and alcohol??) The 'fix' is so simple and easy - and almost free.

Take advantage of this easy remedy in your own life. If you are unmotivated to walk or do other activities, do some jumping jacks - even if it's just to wave your arms around in the air for a few minutes - to get yourself moving. Anyone can do that, right?


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: