Sunday, November 30, 2014

Holiday De-Stress




 I have no idea what this blog is about (will have to read it) but I love the image.  This is how I often feel about the holidays.  Any holiday!  There are minefields and since I'm a walker and a dancer, it might feel like I'm walking or dancing through that minefield, just waiting for the misstep.

One remedy for me is to walk away from all the chaos.  Both of my dance classes were cancelled this week.  Boo!  Hiss!  But, I understand.  Those dance teachers have lives off the dance floor, I assume, and need time to do all those things that we all must do to prepare for an onslaught of family, friends, new recipes, old recipes, traditions, too much food, too much work, too little serenity.  School was even cancelled so I have no Math In Motion to occupy my mind with those funny kids I love so much.

I am a rotten housekeeper - like, um, you know that by now if you've read any of my blog posts before.  So, when I know people will be coming to my house, I feel compelled to dig through the rubble to unearth the chairs and table, dust off the dustables (um, collections), clean bathrooms, and generally make the house so guests do not question the possibility of food poisoning or worse upon entry to this particular zoo.

So, I clean.  I dig out old recipes that must be prepared and served.  I shop at a gazillion grocery stores to get the perfect supplies.  I insist on using china and real flatware.  I really do enjoy having people over to my home.  I just need another house for that purpose alone.  One to live in and one to entertain in.  Maybe someone should float that idea to a new home builder.  I'd buy one - well, two.

Along with the holidays and all the work come a mountain high stack of expectations.  Who must have what pie or form of cranberry sauce?  What pie besides pumpkin will be well received?  Real whipped cream or the aerosol can stuff?  Stuffing and gravy?  White potatoes AND sweet potatoes?   I aim to please.

And, this doesn't even address the long Christmas Wish Lists which will soon adorn refrigerator doors all over America. Talk about expectations!

For me to please - and it's me I'm really trying to please because the world will continue to spin if I opt for the wrong whipped cream stuff - I must work some then de-stress some.  To de-stress, I must find places to walk when the weather and timing are less than cooperative.  I have come up with a couple of new options.

First, the hospital where DH and I have worked for years has 9 floors to walk.  I know most every nook and cranny of this place.   There is covered parking.  The parking is free. It has lots of staircases.  It's only about a 10 minute drive from my home.  And, it's open every day of the year.   Voila!  My own private walking course - at least until visiting hours are over.  And, no one even knows me there anymore. I'm just another citizen wandering around, lost, dazed, and in need of redirection.

Other ideas include big box stores and the mall, of course.  But, one must do a lot of people and stroller dodging to walk at those places.  I've given up on the gym because, well, I just hate it and its treadmills.

I can also use my laptop to pull up dances I know on youtube and dance away in the privacy of my own home.  I become the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only 17.  That's a stretch, ok.  But, I can dream.  And, I can dance the dances I love the most over and over without annoying anyone except maybe the dog who keeps trying to dance along with me but is even worse at it than I am!

So, with your holiday supply of chores and expectations, find a few minutes each morning and afternoon to boogie somewhere so you don't lose your mind or your temper.  De-stress using the tools and locations you have available to you.  Walk or dance in front of the TV.  Dance in the laundry room.  March in place to your favorite MoTown tunes.  You'll feel so much better.  And, your expectation pile will never overwhelm you.  I promise.

Thought For The Day - I was busy all day, but I walked TWICE - both times at the mall with friends.  If I can, you can.




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: