Saturday, November 8, 2014

Are Affirmations VooDoo?




Two things happened this morning.  A friend called asking for some insights into how to handle her teen son who is indulging in bad behavior after a couple years of psychological therapy.  A personal trainer was on TV talking about how 'affirmations without change are the beginnings of delusion'.

Hmmm.  The mom had used some affirmations in front of the mirror with her teen telling him he 'was enough'.  I have no argument with that.  He is 'enough'.  He's perfect in his imperfection - or so says John Legend and I believe everything he sings about.

However, I've had a problem with affirmations for a long time.  I like positive thinking, but when I look in the mirror to talk to myself, I see an old woman looking bad and I'm not her!!  And, I have gotten nowhere with affirmations myself.  OTOH I believe that negative self talk is totally evil and disabling.  We do tend to believe the negative about ourselves much more easily than the positive, unless, of course, we are narcissists - and I know who you are ;-Q

But one thing the trainer got right is that if all you do is talk about change, even positively, but take no action, you are merely deluding yourself.  I'll start exercising tomorrow.  I'll start dieting after the holidays.  I'll start a budget when I get that raise.  Not gonna happen.

As with all change, jumping in with both feet and trying to make major changes today or tomorrow is a prescription for failure.  Taking a tiny positive step today is much more valuable - and much more likely to pay off for you.

So, as with all real change, we start with a very small positive action.  Turn off your computer and walk for 5 minutes - outside or around the house or on a treadmill or marching in place.  Repeat tomorrow, adding 1 minute per day.  In about 2 weeks, you've got a whole new exercise regimen in place and you never had to spend a penny, work up a sweat, or leave the house or neighborhood.

Try it.  It works and you're worth it!






*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: