Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Walking At Work



A study at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) evaluated a bunch of students and faculty to see how well they worked on computers while seated, standing, cycling, or walking.  I've written a bit about this before.  This time, researchers were looking for a variety of indicators, including workers' boredom, stress, performance, and more.  Their work stations had been adapted for the various forms of movement tested.

The walking work stations produced the best results even if the workers on these stations performed no other kind of exercise or what their body mass index was.  You can read the entire study authored by Michael Siter in the American Psychological Association's Journal of Occupational Health Psychology - or you can just take my word for it.

I'm pretty much retired now, but if I were still in the work force full time, especially if I were tied to a desk, I'd be lobbying my boss for a work station modified to include a treadmill traveling at 2 MPH.  That is the sweet spot - where the user quickly becomes accustomed to, and even unaware, of the presence of, the treadmill or the need to walk at 2 MPH while performing work chores on the computer, phone, or paperwork.

What do you think?

I got this info from an article in the Novermber 19, 2014, Vof 19, No 31 issue of West Magazine - a freebie in my neighborhood.



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: