Thursday, March 26, 2009

SPRING SPRINGS FORTH

I love Spring. It's my favorite time of year. I'm not a fan of cold weather and detest those gloomy, dank days of Fall and Winter. Summer and Spring are the times of year when I feel most alive. Fall is pretty, but my asthma always raises its ugly head then, so I don't look forward to it.

This week, we have had Spring in St. Louis. Many trees, the colorful ornamentals we have so many of around town, are starting to bud. The first green spears of tulips and other perennials arise from the messy flower beds. Hens and chicks, those cute green succulents, begin their spread. The grass (or maybe it's just the weeds) in the lawn greens up nicely, having shed its winter coat of dried leaves.

This time of year is pure walking inspiration for me. I've walked outside every day - sometimes twice a day - despite the sprinkles and wind. The freshness of the breezes give me hope that despite the political and economical gloom and doom we can't avoid hearing and reading about will be swept away like those dried leaves.

My dog, Lizzie, is re-learning how to walk on her leash. She is walked year round, but she was naughty two years ago, pulled me down and broke my wrist, so I have been loathe to walk her. Now that she's past the puppy stage and calming down, I'm getting ready, with my husband's help, to give her a second chance at her favorite thing in life - walking with me!

She's a great walking companion except when there's another dog nearby. Then, she forgets her manners and jerks forward. If I'm not alert, she'll have me face down on the concrete or blacktop. If that happens again, she'll be forever consigned to the walking schedule of her 'dad' which is not nearly as regular as my regime.

Despite the friskiness and lack of manners of my own dog, I highly recommend having a dog as your walking companion. Lizzie is ALWAYS ready to walk. She doesn't care what time of day it is, what the weather is like, or what's on TV. She's like the Energizer Bunny - always ready!


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: