Saturday, March 28, 2009

LOSING THE ANGER

Have you ever been so angry you just wanted to get out of the house (or office)? I have. When I had three teens (of my own plus extras who lived with us for various lengths of time), I would often become frustrated with their irresponsible and immature behavior. One child of mine was especially good at pressing my hot buttons. Fueling the fire by fighting back is never a good thing. But, it takes time and perspective to learn how to cope with the anger and frustration.

Once I had become a dedicated walker, I learned that if I just tied on my shoes and headed out of the house, I was able to leave all the anger and frustration back at home. By the time I returned home 15 to 60 minutes later, the situation had magically changed and the anger and frustration had dissipated. All gone.

Now, this doesn't solve problems in and of itself, but it does help maintain sanity and preserve the family without further damaging what may be fragile relationships.

This same strategy will work on the job too. Kind of like the old words 'Count to Ten' or 'Take a couple of deep breaths'. It really is effective.

Walking is a great stress reducer. Something happens in our brains when we walk for 15 or more minutes. There are actually chemical changes which can be measured. I'm not so concerned with the science of it. I just know it works! And, I'm all for anything that works, harms no one, and benefits everyone involved. And, it's way cheaper than therapy.

So, my new mantra is 'When the going gets tough, the tough go walking'. Try it! You certainly have nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain with peace of mind and improved family relationships. I did.



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: