Sunday, March 22, 2009

FINDING YOUR WAY

So, how do you know where to walk? Get out and chart your neighborhood. Get a mental picture of the best routes for walking. Is there a park nearby which you can head to or at least include in your journey? Is there a house with an especially nice yard that you enjoy walking by? Is there a house you want to avoid?

Are you looking to walk on a level route or include some uphill walking in your regime? Level is best for beginners. But, try to add some ups and downs as you gain endurance.

Do you want to avoid busy intersections? When I have my car serviced, I can walk home from the shop but the route requires my crossing a 6 lane state route that looks pretty much like an interstate highway with stop lights. I'm familiar with the signal sequence, so I know when I have time to get all the way across. However, I avoid this route in rush hour. It's just not a walker-friendly route.

If you have school age kids and their school is within walking distance, you have an instant walking route. Plus, you'll have time for quality conversation with your child(ren) and encourage them to walk more too. Remember how most of us over the age of 30 walked to and from school every day? No one came to harm and it was a great time to de-stress from the school day.

So, think of a destination - the library, the grocery store, the school, the park - and walk to and from it if you can. Maybe you'll only do this on fair weather days. That's okay. You're in charge of your walks so walk when and where it suits you. But, do walk. Try to make it meaningful, enjoyable, worth your time. Before long, you'll wonder why you ever drove to these neighborhood destinations.



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: