Wednesday, January 11, 2012

CONSUMER REPORTS

The latest issue of Consumer Reports Magazine has reviews of home gym equipment. They detail stair steppers, elipticals, stationary bikes, and pedometers. I own a stationary bike, a modified recumbent which is a nice tool to have. It wasn't terribly expensive and is a nice 'fall back' when I can't get out of the house and just want to bike 'away' for a half hour or so in front of the TV. I'm fortunate to have a master bedroom suite with room for the bike. It doesn't fold up, so when it's there, it's there.

Stair steppers are wildly popular at the gym, but they are hell on knees. So, if you are tempted to try them, check with your doctor first. Or, just go climb some stairs and save the price of gym membership!

Elipticals are the newest machines in the game. They combine the motion of walking with a modified climbing like the stair steppers. I find them difficult to work efficiently, probably because I haven't spent enough time on them and I have really short legs while the machines appear to be designed for folks with a longer inseam than 28.5 inches.

The pedometer is your friend. They range in price from a couple of bucks (at Walgreen) up to the GPS type which will set you back hundreds of dollars. Stick to the cheap ones and throw them out when the battery dies since the battery costs as much as the device. Your goal with the pedometer is to assure that you get in your minimum number of steps each day. If you can get to 7,000 steps in the course of your day's activities, that's great. 10,000 steps is now the goal the exercise physiologists want us to aim for.

So, if you can get to 7,000 steps, you now have a new goal - and a New Year - in which to get there. Take your time. Check your pedometer a couple hours before you fold up your tent for the evening to see how many steps you've walked. Then, make it a point to add 25 more steps every day for a week. That's not hard. 25 steps is not very far! But if you add 25 extra steps each day for a week, you'll soon be able to add another 25! Then, you'll be at 10,000 steps before you know it.

I'm on the way tomorrow to buy myself a new pedometer. Going for the 10,000. Wanna join me?

***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: