Saturday, February 25, 2012

Keep Your Ears On

Have you heard the latest numbers about how many joggers and walkers are hit by cars because they're wearing earbuds? Duh!

I've been walking outside with a Walkman and now an Ipod for more than 12 years. Not a single time have I had both of my ears plugged into the device. Not only do I want to hear some of the ambient sounds, I definitely want to be alerted to a potential hazard.

Last week, a jogger in a sponsored race made a U-turn in traffic and was hit and severely injured by a car. The driver was not held. Although pedestrians (which includes walkers and joggers) have the right of way, there is a fair question to ask. Want to be right or healthy? That jogger might have had the 'right of way' but he broke the Rules of the Road, leading to the disastrous events of the day. And, while the driver may well have been held harmless by the authorities, I feels sure that s/he suffers some level of guilt, thinking there was possibly something that could have been done to avoid the catastrophe. Life wasn't fair to anyone involved in the incident.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm also a person who would be content with black and white TV! I suggest that if you ARE an audiophile, you should do your serious listening in the relative safety of your own home - not on the walking trail.

I can hear all the songs on my Ipod well enough to sing along to them. And, OMG, I sing so poorly that only my dog appreciates my efforts. I sing because I love the music and because it makes the walking more of a work out.

But, I don't need both ears plugged into my Ipod buds to enjoy my walk. With one ear unencumbered with said earbud, I can hear oncoming traffic, dogs barking, the kid behind me on the track who wants to bike around me, and any other sound which might be of importance, from a friendly 'Hello!' to a police siren.

So, for your own safety -and that of those around you both on foot and in vehicles - keep both eyes and at least one ear on the road.





***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: