Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Falling





Falling, as in taking a tumble, is a part of walking and a part of aging.  I fell today while walking at the mall.  I fell UP the stairs - at one end of this particular mall there about 4 cobbled stairs with a rail in the middle.  Since I'm short, I don't have far to fall to the ground.  No, really!  But, I was holding the rail, as I always do when I walk up or down stairs (which I do often).  When I have fallen, it has been more typical for me to fall up than down.  Less hazardous too.

Well, tell that to my right pinkie.  It's quite sore.  Got wrenched in the rail as I was going down.  I'm stiff all over from this little spill but my finger is hurting.  I got home about an hour later and iced the finger.  Not a major problem - but it's one of the expected adverse effects of walking.

I was wearing new shoes today, walking with a friend, talking and not paying as close attention as I should have.  I hold my mom's arm when I walk her into stores.  She'll be 90 next month and is very healthy except for her blindness of the past 10 or so years.  I'm really careful with her - I tell her of upcoming ramps, steps, and other obstacles.  Why am I not this careful with myself?  I have a LOOOOONG history of falling, going back to high school when I blacked out and fell down a whole staircase.  No injuries!  Lucky me.

One reason I don't bike is that I'm afraid of falling.  I have not fallen while dancing (and having typed that, I feel sure I will have alerted the off-balance godlets who will soon take care of this bit of negligence on their part).  I pay pretty close attention to what my feet are doing when I dance because I am trying to keep tempo with the music.

So, will this keep me from walking tomorrow?  No!  I'll be out there again, trudging along, and hoping that I'm paying closer attention to where I put my size 10 shoes!



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: