Thursday, August 9, 2012

Do You Ever......

Do  you ever look around you and wonder how/why other people have things so much better or so much worse than you do?  I used to do that all the time.  I wondered why my family couldn't afford the three tuitions we were paying AND build a new house.  I wondered why other people had such nicely manicured lawns while I could never seem to pull that off.  I wondered why some of my friend suffered such terrible health issues.  The good, the bad, and the really ugly.

This required an attitude adjustment.  The new house and the manicured lawn were attainable.  I just had to save or work or manage better than I had.  The health of my children - well much of that is not within my control.  Certainly my friends who suffered from poor health had not brought disease upon themselves on purpose.

So, what does this have to do with walking?  Much of what we do in life falls within the realm of 'judging my insides by someone else's outside'.  Make sense?

I was looking at those new McMansions and manicured lawns and fancy cars and expensive vacations and designer wardrobes and - and - and.........There was absolutely nothing wrong with my life except my attitude!  Further, I had no idea - absolutely NONE - what was going on in those houses - those McMansions with all the trimmings of wealth.

But, I KNEW what was going on inside my home (not just my house).  I knew that I was blessed with a fantastic husband and three healthy children, my own good health, and all the money to provide us what we needed in life and much of what we wanted.  I knew that I was LUCKY!  I knew that what I truly valued was within my reach - that I had most of it and could attain the rest by my own grit.

I was overweight and undermotivated.  I was Hungry (almost all the time), Angry (much of the time), Lonely (occasionally), and Tired (most of the time). HALT is an acronym for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.  It is a mental visual for not making decisions when you are HALT.  So HALT and give yourself time to improve.

For me, that improvement meant losing weight, getting to feeling better, getting more sleep, and lifting my mood.  Walking - the miraculous activity for which our bodies are so cleverly designed - was the 'cure' for me.  Hard scientific data continue to support the hypothesis that activity as simple as walking can fend off all sorts of physical and emotional ailments.

No, walking didn't get me a fancier house, a better wardrobe, more money, or a trip to Hawaii.  LOL.  It did get me a couple really tangible things.  First, after walking for less than a year, I could fit into the rides with my daughter at Six Flags (OMG, I hate that place!), I could purchase clothing at almost any store (not just the plus size places), I felt better, I looked better, and I liked my life better.  All For Free!!

Now, I live in a smaller house (my choice), wear expensive walking shoes and generally inexpensive clothing, sleep better, feel better, and like my life better.  My insides are now much healthier - and I don't much care what anyone else's outside looks like.  Mine is just fine!

Having learned all this myself, I try to carry that message into the universe.  I try to encourage those who are willing (and a few who aren't) to do the best with what they were given in life - two legs and amazing minds.  Two legs to walk and amazing minds to drag us from sloth and inertia toward health and well being.  Come walk with me!


*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: