Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Who Do You Want To Be?

I finally finished Eat, Pray, Love last night.  The present book is the third copy of the book I've owned.  It keeps disappearing.  I began to feel as if the Universe didn't want me to read this book.  But, I had my way with the Universe.......or something.  Anyway, at the very end of the book, Liz comes to understand that the person she is was inside her all the time - all the years she had struggled in her spiritual journey led her to the sure and certain knowledge that the person she became was always meant to be.

This is very Zen.  I'm certainly no philosopher and there is way more philosophy I have not read than I have read.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, what does this have to do with walking?

Here's what.  Are you the person you are supposed to be?  Are you working on becoming that person.  Is the person you are today out of sync with what you thought you would be at this date and time - at this point in your life - at this moment?

When I was a child, I certainly had no plan to marry a man from India (from a city as far away on the glove as one can get from St. Louis).  I never planned to be overweight.  I had no idea where I'd be living - except a general idea that it would probably be somewhere in the St. Louis area.  I thought I would be a grandmother by now - when I thought about that at all!!

The me who exists now is pretty happy with her life.  I'm generally healthy, have a wonderful husband and three smart, accomplished, good looking kids.  I have great relationships with my mother and my mother in law.  I'm a pretty lucky person.

Was this all destined to be?  Was I destined to be a person who would come to thoroughly enjoy walking, would have walking and dancing as key parts of my daily life, would be writing a blog about that?  Who ever heard of a blog when I was a kid?!  No such thing existed.  Ok, except for that, one might have looked at me dispassionately at some point and predicted that I would be married, be a mother, have a job, own a house, have hobbies I loved (yes, there are a few besides walking and dancing), pay my bills, enjoy reasonably good health, etc.  None of that is particularly unusual.

But, am I the person I would LIKE to be?  I think I'm very fortunate to answer yes to that question. With equal parts perspiration and good luck, most people could have the life I seem to have.  But, I'm happy - HAPPY!  I see myself a bit differently than many people I know in that regard.  I know so many people who don't appreciate the lives they have, don't value the journey, don't like who they are.

I'm not one of them.  And, I must tell you that my walking (and dancing) are responsible, in some part, for my happiness.  To quote my mom, "You can't sit in front of the TV all day and be happy or healthy.  You have to move."  She'll soon be 90 and enjoys remarkably good health.

Was this all preordained?  Was the person I am now always inside of me, waiting only for time and circumstances to produce the me of today?  I'll let you answer that for yourself. 




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: