Thursday, June 21, 2012

Does It Work?

Is good health and wellbeing only a walk away?  Does this little idea of mine really work? Well, it seems as if there is some new science that might contradict previous studies and our intuition.

It seems that for African-American women, the benefits of exercise are less than they are for the other women studied - that would be White women of European heritage.  I find this to be terribly counterintuitive.  And, I suspect it's just plain wrong in the long run.

We have known for a long time that the adverse health effects of high blood pressure (hypertension) are worse among American Blacks than Whites.  Whether this is something intrinsic in our racial differences or something cultural (dietary, say) is up for grabs.

What I do know from the many African-American women I dance with every week is that exercise makes them feel as good as it does me!  I can't believe that's not beneficial.  Maybe it doesn't take off the pounds in Black women the way it's supposed to in Whites.  Maybe the benefits of such exercise are less for Blacks than for Whites - but it's still beneficial!

I still think the jury is out on any perceived differences in these benefits between races.  I think our bodies all work pretty much the same.  Plus, there is this whole thing in the US about the melting pot.  We have very few 'pure' anything in this country.  Purely White?  Purely Black?  Mostly not.  Mostly we are a hodgepodge of ethnic heritages.  but, whatever your or my ethnicity is, I still think we all benefit equally from the benefits of such mood elevating activities as walking and dancing.

So, walk on! 




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: