Saturday, January 29, 2011

CAN'T CATCH UP?

I'm going to paraphrase a question and answer in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on January 29, 2011 from the Dr. Donohue column.

Dear Doc,
My husband wants me to walk with him but I can't keep up. He walks too fast and he says I walk too slowly for my walk to be beneficial.

Answer,
No such thing as too slow. Any walk is beneficial. But, here are some ways for you to improve your speed. Do these before you attempt to walk with hubby again and you'll likely outwalk him!

His suggestion? Interval training. I've written about that before. Those are brief sprints of exercise (in our case walking) during the course of one's regular routine. So, you could start off by picking up your speed and your elbows going between two driveways, doorstops, trees, cars, whatever along your regular walking route. Resume your regular pace between these intervals of sprinting. The interval can start for a duration of a few seconds and work up to intervals as long as 5 or 10 minutes. Eventually, your 'vigorous' cycle should be as long as your more relaxed cycle. "That might take you a year or more."

No one begins any sort of exercise regimen or routine at the top of the game. We all must begin slowly (or for short walks) before we are gradually able to increase both the intensity and duration of the walk. Interval training will make a nice addition to your walk and will also give you a bit more variety to avoid boredom. Try it!



***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: