Friday, January 7, 2011

REMEMBER WALKING??

According to a recent article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, walking six to nine miles a week may prevent memory loss. The more participants walked, the more gray matter they retained and the less brain shrinkage occurred, resulting in who walked the most having half the risk of memory loss of those who didn't walk.

This is important stuff - and easy to do. Nine miles a week means a daily walk of less than 1.5 miles. That's less than 45 minutes a day for most of us. For someone like me whose goal is 3 miles a day, 6 days a week, I can attain the memory retention goal of 9 miles per week in 3 days of walking. I don't always make it the full 3 miles. But, at 2 miles a day, I can still get in that 9 miles each week. I often walk 7 days a week so the 9 mile line is definitely attainable.

The reason for this connection between size of the brain, memory retention, and walking is this: exercise increases the amount of blood going to the brain which seems to distribute important brain nutrients. That sounds straightforward enough for me.

So, I off the computer and off for a walk!


***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: