Friday, December 17, 2010

THE WALKING WOUNDED??

Months ago, I wrote that I was enjoying Zumba. I loved the rhythm, the beat, and the movements. The harder the work out the better for me. Not so for my hip. I dropped my twice weekly Zumba class with sadness. But, I continued my linedancing at the same studio.

Weeks went by and the hip got worse not better. So, off to my Favorite Orthopedist I went. I pointed to the two spots that hurt, he took a picture, looked, filled a syringe with the marvelous elixir that removes all joint pain (if you're lucky), and stuck me. He said that this fixes the problem 80% of the time. " If it's not better in a few days, come back and see me. " His actual words. He spoke those words. I heard them.

Days go by. One of the painful parts of my hip is CURED. Glory be! ONE of the sites. Not the other. It got worse. I was in denial. Continued to walk and dance and pop the Tramadol.

Finally, I went to see my Favorite Orthopedist again with my sad tale. An MRI was ordered. An MRI was read. No hip arthritis - this is a good thing! But, there is a tear in the Gluteus Minimus. The where??? Who knew we have three (count them, THREE) butt muscles that come off the hip (maximum, medialus, and minimus)? Who cares? Only someone who has a tear in one and swelling in another.

Why? I asked. How? I asked. No one ever knows. He said. It'll get better. He said. Don't worry. He said. Easy for him to say.... Then! We figured it out. Remember that little device I told you I had purchased on ebay?

This is the culprit. Know how many times I used it? Wanna know? TWICE! This inexpensive device from an earlier (low tech) era has now cost me over $600 and any amount of pain.

But, will I be defeated? NO! I'm still walking (well, read my recent post). I have taken a break from dancing for the month of December, hoping that this brief respite will aid in healing. There is a surgical repair option - but not for me unless it gets lots worse. There is also an option of another of those miraculous injections - but they don't assist in healing and could actually mask pain caused by worsening the tear.

So, I'm laying back. Sticking to walking alone. Anyone want this little device? No, I won't sell it to you or give it to you (or charity). I'm destroying the darn thing. No one needs any help getting injured. Even those of us who are not 'jocks' can get injured by exercise. In the future, I'm sticking to my walking, dancing when I can get back to it, and my stationary bike.





***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: