Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Resolutions? Don't Make 'Em!




That's me you see jumping up and down, screaming with joy.  I've been totally vindicated by true science!!!  Tiny changes - like exercising for FIFTEEN SECONDS a day - lead to far better results than larger ranging changes attempted when one makes 'serious' changes in one's life.

FIFTEEN SECONDS!!  Well, I've asked you for fifteen minutes - but that's not too much either.  Here's why:

Who (not you, of course) can resist the notion of doing FIFTEEN SECONDS of walking - today.  Then TWENTY SECONDS tomorrow.  Laugh you might.  But, if you've been sedentary, sick, in pain, or just outta the mood, starting with a teeny tiny change can make you a winner!

Oliver Burkeman, author of "The Antidote:Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking" is the guy who has come up with this idea.  Well, ahem, after I did.  And, after digesting a lot of research over a lot of years of researching why things like New Year's Resolutions don't work.

I also recently read an interesting article that flies in the face of everything I've read on the subject of goal setting before - that writing down goals is not the path to success.  Oh My!!  Mental Goals can work too!!  Thank you very much.  That was MY idea too.  Although, I will admit (since I'm not one who often writes down goals) that having a To Do List and checking off each activity has a positive impact on me when I'm trying to gear up to clean the house and entertain, for instance.

Still, long range goals - like resolutions - are often just opportunities for failure.  Who needs help failing?  I don't.

Neither do you.  So, make it your New Year's Resolution to make no resolutions.  Instead, decide what will make you happier in your life - feeling better, looking better, gaining physical endurance, getting healthier (and another list that you can discuss elsewhere like making more money or leaving your spouse) - then take one tiny step in that direction TODAY.  Don't wait for January 1 of any year.  Do it TODAY.

Then, tomorrow, do it for one tiny bit longer.

If you'd like, go back and read some of my earlier articles on the subject of getting off the sofa and walking your way to betterness.  Yes, let's just call it BETTERNESS.  Whatever 'it' is in your life (within my list - feeling better, looking better, gaining physical endurance, getting healthier and not those other things).  Do IT one teeny tiny bit at a time.

DO FIFTEEN SECONDS TODAY!

This is my new mantra.  You'll see it again.

Note:  You can get back to those earlier articles by scrolling down and looking on the right side of your screen to the archives for 2008.

This is my Christmas/Chanukkah/Kwanzaa/Holiday gift to you!


*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: