Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Nieces

Even though we don't live very far from each other, I seldom see my two nieces - each of my brothers has one daughter.  They are both beautiful young women who have struggled with their weight - and are winning that battle!  One niece has lost over 65 lbs and looks fantastic.  She has a great husband and a young son who she is attempting to lead down the path to healthy eating and exercise.  Dad, a great guy but one who has never had a weight issue, has terrible eating habits!!  He thinks Dorito's are a major food group and that potatoes are the only vegetable worth eating.  Nothing green will ever appear on his plate!  What's a mom to do?

My other niece is only three months younger than my daughter - but quite a bit taller than my vertically challenged daughter.   I have never thought of her as being over weight, but apparently when I wasn't looking, she had gained some weight.  She has taken off about half what she wants to lose.

The above information came to me at a recent family gathering, and only in passing.  My older niece has been 'working' on this issue for some months, so I've been more aware of her issues.  I know that she has included walking, biking, and Jazzercize into her weekly routine.  Don't know what my other niece is doing for exercise, but I recommended that they both check out my blog for information and some inspiration.  I hope we will hear from them here.  As I said, they are both lovely young women - but they happen to belong to a family that has long standing weight issues.

As my husband often tells his patients, 'You have to pick your parents carefully.'  As with hair color and height, there are other things we inherit from our parents.  We also inherit genes that may determine our reaction to food intake, our predilection for the pattern of fat we put on, our resistance to insulin or sensitivity to salt - and many more things which can effect our ability to maintain a healthy weight.  Some people can closely monitor caloric intake, exercise aggressively, and even take medication - all to manage lipids which may remain outside the range of normal.  Some people require up to three medications to regulate their blood pressure despite a healthy lifestyle.  They just didn't pick their parents carefully enough.  Despite their best efforts, the genes will out.

Still, weight is not the key issue here.  I walk to feel good!  If it happens to help me maintain a better body weight, good for me.  But, that's not my main goal.  I want to feel good, to be able to move my body freely, to stave off the adverse effects of osteoarthritis, and to overcome my asthma problems.  Walking - and walking is most of what I do as you know - is the one activity that gives me these benefits. 


*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: