Monday, October 15, 2012

More Science

Once again, science has confirmed my take on exercise!  I bet you had no idea that I was so smart, did you?  Well, science is finally catching up to my remarkable intellect and wealth of knowledge.

Here's the scoop.  People who participate in moderate exercise, defined as about 30 minutes a day of walking, do better overall than two other groups - those who do no exercise and those who exercise aggressively for about 60 minutes a day (at the gym).

Actually, I added 'at the gym' cuz I hate going there.

But, you see how this pans out.  Those of us who are walking about 30 minutes a day are leading the pack in health, feeling of wellness, weight loss, and maintenance of good habits.  Why?  Well, here's what they think.  We know why the group who did no exercise didn't lose weight or feel better.  That's a no-brainer.

The other group, those that worked hard at working out, did not gain as much benefit from their extra 30 minutes of working out each day as the moderate group did.  The moderate group ate no more food either before or after their workouts, were more faithful to their exercise regimen, and had some 'spill over' effect in that they felt more energetic and were more likely to add in things like taking the stairs rather than the elevator.  The 60 minute group ate more, expressed less energy and more tiredness, and had not spill over into their daily lives.

Yes.  We win again!  We start slow, build up to 20-30 minutes a day of walking (maybe more if we have the time and want to but we aren't necessarily 'aggressive' in our exercising), and continue to walk, making it part of our daily lives.  Further, we become more aware of our physical abilities so we do things like taking the stairs, stacking wood (Hi, Patty!), parking at the farthest spot from the door.  We don't need to diet because we are feeling pretty good about who we are because we are using our body to do what it was designed to do - walk!

Let me be the last person who diminishes anyone's idea of exercise - but if I have to get into a leotard or wear rosin coated gloves or look at my form in a mirror, I'm not gonna do 'it', whatever 'it' is.  Good for those who do - but it's not me.  And, those activities don't make me feel better and they leave my muscles hurting and they wind up with a frustrated me.  So, I'll just walk my way to feeling better.  Once again, the science of it, as published in the New York Times, confirms my take on exercise.  Hope you feel the same!




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: