Thursday, October 18, 2012

Moving - Maybe Another Idea

Some of my readers have shared with me that they suffer from Fibromyalgia, a poorly understood but painful disorder of the muscles and tendons.  Walking is very good for sufferers of this condition - and others.  In fact, there is almost no medical disorder that will not be bettered by some form of low or no impact exercise.  Walking is perfect for that.

But, there are other, shall we say complementary, activities that might help.  I am a fan of accupuncture.  It has helped alleviate pain for me on several different occasions - on occasions when traditional Western medicine had no solutions for me that did not include heavy duty pain killers (and even those didn't help all the time).  Most of us like to avoid medicine when we can, right?

I read this article that appeared in the October 4, 2012 issue of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  The title captured my attention immediately, "New Health Movement Targets Self-Awareness".  Right up my alley, you might say.  The article featured a discussion of the Feldenkrais Method.  Have you ever heard of it?  Neither I nor my physician husband had heard of it.  So, after reading the article, I did a bit more research.  There are 1,300 practitioners in the U.S. who have been trained (about 800 hours of training over 3-4 years) in the techniques championed by its founder, Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais who died in 1984.  It is practiced as part of traditional medicine by physiotherapists in parts of Europe.  Many of the people who seek this treatment suffer from chronic pain conditions as well as neurological conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis and Cerebral Palsy.

In a nutshell - a gross oversimplification - the Movement at its core seeks to teach a person to be more aware of the way his/her body moves and in so doing learn ways to minimize pain and maximize efficiency of movement.

Fortunately for me, there is a free seminar being offered nearby.  Once I've attended that and learned more about the Movement from a certified practitioner, I'll write more about it.  I have high hopes that I can learn more ways to alleviate the pain of Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, both of which I suffer from.  Stay tuned!



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: