Monday, July 23, 2012

Immunity

The thermometer has been in the triple digits for days and days in this area.  It's become so common that when it drops to mere double digits - below 100 degrees - we think it's getting 'cool'.  Everyone has been complaining about the heat.  And, darn it, it IS hot.

But, I'm immune to it, for the most part.  I'm not stupid.  I won't try to walk my 3 miles outside at the height of the day's temperature and humidity.  I've often waited til after dark or taken refuge in the mall for cooler walking.  While I feel I could handle the 3 mile walk, my 7 year old dog has been limited to 2 miles of walking in the heat - and she can't really tell me when she needs to take a break.  So, I've erred on the side of caution and sought cooler times to walk, leaving her at home some days when it's just too hot for her.

I, however, have developed quite a tolerance for the heat and humidity.  I sweat profusely, but I can keep going without any adverse effect.  I carry water, suck on mints, and try to stay in the shade.  But, I keep walking.  It is the very walking which has developed this tolerance for the heat and humidity.  Not so many years ago, a walk in outside in summer would have triggered a migraine headache - the sun, the heat, and the exercise combine to produce the worst of headaches!

This doesn't come in an afternoon or in a week.  It takes persistence and care.  Of course, if you have other health problems, you shouldn't attempt walks or other activities that might aggravate those problems.  But, if you're generally healthy, stretching out your walks in the heat and humidity, slowly over the days and weeks of heat, you'll find that, one day, it just won't sap you like it used to.

Take care, but get there if you can.


*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: