Saturday, May 12, 2012

Why It's Called Walk And Talk

If you've ever wondered how I came up with the name for this blog, I'll tell you.  Think I wrote about it once upon a time - but it bears repeating.  One of the best ways to get and remain motivated to walk - or do most anything that requires a change in behavior - is to have a buddy.  For me, having someone to talk with while I walk has been key to my consistency.  Other things help - like having a dog who yearns for her daily walk - but having a buddy to talk with while walking is wonderful.

I met Kris about a year ago.  It was one of those things where we hit it off instantly.  You know?  We are fortunate when that happens.  Pretty quickly, I discovered that she was a biker but was interested in walking too.  She suffers from a chronic illness, but does not let it rule her life.  She lives near me and is also an empty-nester.  She works full time (and then some) while I work less than full time but also have my mom's needs to tend to.

Kris and I started walking together once a week. Due to the way we interact and that we are both flexible in our walking availability, we have progressed to a typical pattern of walking together three days a week.  I had lost my regular Sunday morning walking partner, so Kris has stepped in there.  We also try to walk on Friday and Monday evenings after work.  Because Spring and Summer offer us so many more daytime hours, we are more motivated to walk.  Otherwise we must go to the mall or the hardware store or wherever to be safe and not turn into frozen winter Popsicles.

Last week, I had a long difficult week at work, working more than full time, and by Friday I was just tired.  I texted Kris to tell her that I wouldn't walk unless someone held a gun to my head.  Her response was words to the effect that she was loading her gun!  I got a laugh out of that - and some motivation.  It was clear that I'd be letting her down if I didn't walk with her.  There are two of us in this 'game'.  That's extremely motivational.

While not everyone has neighbors or has a friend available to walk with them, I had the plan that we'd be able to connect via cell phone while we walked - the the 'e' part of walk and talk buddies.  That hasn't really worked out - but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from readers of the blog that I consider it a success.  I've gotten a few people off the sofa and into a regular routine of walking.  No one has told me this was a bad idea!  Even those who haven't been motivated to walk have sent some kind emails.  This motivates me probably even more than I've motivated anyone else.  So, thanks - and get moving!




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: