Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why Don't They Get It?

I see about 15 patients a day in my husband's office.  I speak on the phone to lots more than that.  Many of their health problems - no, most of them - are related to lack of physical conditioning and a poor diet.  I'm not dismissing their legitimate physical ailments.  Things like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, M.S., Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, etc are all potentially debilitating diseases.  They hurt, cost a lot of money and time to treat, and can dispirit those who suffer from only one of those diagnoses.  I'm happy to be free of these diseases.

That said, there is not a single one of those physical ailments that cannot be improved, at least in part, by regular exercise.  Really!  Walking, water aerobics, biking (on the street or stationary), ellipticals, and more are all great low impact exercise techniques that are not very expensive and can be done to a greater or lesser degree by most people.

Almost every day, I speak to at least one patient about walking.  Often, my husband will call me away from my desk and regular duties to speak to a patient about walking or water aerobics.  His mantra has become mine - and you've read it here before.  It hurts whether you do it or not, so go do it!  If you have joint pain, you have joint pain.  No one can argue with that.  But, walking can make it better!

Almost every day, I speak to at least one patient about walking in front of a television.  Since a 60 minute show is now down to about 38 minutes of content and 26 minutes of commercials, if one walks in place ONLY during commercials, the daily goal of a 20 minute walk is easily met!

No need for special shoes.  No need to sweat.  No need to risk bad weather or spend the gas to go to the mall.  No excuses!

It's so simple.  Why don't they get it?  It's not rocket science - but it is good science!  Give yourself a boost and walk that 20 or so minutes 4 days a week - JUST FOUR DAYS.  That's a grand total of 80 minutes a week.  Doing just that little bit will improve heart health, increase your healthy life span, and make you feel better.



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: