Sunday, May 27, 2012

Why Don't I Feel Better?

I keep telling you that if you walk regularly, you'll feel better.  What if that doesn't happen?

Well, it might not happen right away.  It may take a while.  You may well feel a sense of accomplishment if you get off the sofa and walk those 80 minutes a week that I've encouraged you to do, but you might have some pain (even a temporary increase in pain) or maybe feel no other positive effect.

IT WILL COME!  This I promise.  See my 100% Guarantee at the bottom of each of my posts.  I don't promise that you will feel instant results.  I don't promise that you'll be instantly free of pain.  I don't promise that it will be easy.

I do promise that from day one - after you've walked even 5 minutes and you mark that on your calendar as I've encouraged you to do - you'll feel better about yourself even if you ache a bit.

So, lets review the basics.
*Start slow.  Take a pain reliever about an hour before your walk if you have pain, anticipate pain, and have analgesics (pain relievers) available to you.  Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and prescription pain relievers are suggested if you need them.  Just ask your doctor, explaining why you'd like a little medicinal help to get this new program going.

*Track your progress by marking each walk on your calendar.  Decide what reward you'll give yourself when you meet your first goal (keep reading...).

*Reward yourself with each milestone:
****The first week you walk 4 out of 7 days (no matter how many or few minutes)
*****The first month you walk 4 of 7 days each week (no matter how many or few minutes)
****The very first time you walk two days back to back (don't count minutes yet)
*****Start counting minutes now.  The first week you increase the length of your walk by one minute each time you walk.
****The first week you walk 10 minutes each time..
*****The first week you walk 15 minutes each time.
****The first week you increase you walk to 20 minutes each time.

After that, the walk itself will be your reward!  Trust me on this!  Your rewards can be anything except sweets.  Increase your rewards as you increase your walks.  Be very sure to give yourself those rewards!  You are worth it - and everyone around you will come to see that - and to see the benefits of your walks.

Here are some suggested rewards:
*a cute pair of socks
*a bag of your favorite nuts
*a manicure
*and a pedicure
*$5 to spend however your like
*Put a dime in a piggy bank for every minute you walk.  Boy, does it add up quick!  Before long, you'll have enough money to buy yourself that new bag or blouse you've had your eye on.

Ok, so you get the idea.  Once you've incorporated walking into your routine, you'll come to look forward to those walks.  And, if you have a motivational buddy, you'll find yourself seeing the walks themselves as part of your social life and rewarding.

I really miss it when I don't walk.  My 89 year old mother feels guilty on the occasional day she doesn't walk.  Here's the only downside to her walking lifestyle:  she's outliving everyone in the retirement apartment complex where she lives - and she's outliving them in good health and with no pain!  If that doesn't show you the value of walking, I don't know what will!



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

2 comments:

TeriB said...

OK, I admit---I HATE exercise. In basically any form---although I did enjoy water aerobics a few years back. I didn't lose weight and it's not possible with my present work schedule. But I've been following your blog and I KNOW I have to get moving. The suggestions here on how to start, and some reward ideas, are really great. Thanks for your support.

jd said...

TeriB
Thanks so much for your kind words. You are right that you need to get moving. Start slow and take it one day - even one step - at a time. We all must move forward every day. It's far better, and easier, to do that improving our health along the way.
jd