Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gravity Sucks and So Does Asthma

 As we get older, no matter how hard we try, we suffer the outrageous slings and arrows of gravity - wrinkles, sagging skin, spider veins.  No way around most of this - unless you've chosen your parents a lot better than I chose mine.  In addition to all the above, I got the very early white hair gene.  I fought it with hair dye for many years, but some time back, decided I was old enough for white hair.  This is a good thought since I have a full head of white hair!

Asthma also sucks!  Don't know which parent bequeathed this gene to me.  However, my husband and all three kids suffer from asthma.  I think St. Louis is the Asthma Capitol of the universe as some 70-80% of all children suffer from it.  Some outgrow it.  Some (my kids) don't.

Walking definitely helps with the asthma.  As with most physical ailments, the body uses all the exercise and good air exchange which occur during aerobic activities like walking to good advantage.

Does walking help with the other sucking reality, gravity?  I have very fair skin and light eyes - a preordained canvas for the images of aging - first sunburns then sagging skin and wrinkles.  No one knew 50 years ago just how bad those sunburns could be for us.  I've already had one skin cancer removed from my face.  The wrinkles, I fear, are there to stay - and undoubtedly worsen.

We need Vitamin D and the easiest way to get it is from the sun.  Sun rays cause our bodies to manufacture their own supply of Vitamin D.  Sunscreen blocks the sun's rays (well, it's supposed to if properly used and frequently reapplied).  My compromise is to use a very high SPF sunscreen on my skin and take my chances with the rest of my exposed skin.

Sunscreen or not, Vitamin D or not, wrinkles, skin cancers, and sunburns aside - I'm still gonna walk.  I'm not stupid about it, but I will walk as long as my legs work.  The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages to me.  And, after all, it just feels good to be out in the sun even if the pollen count is sky high and it triggers my asthma.

And, it's way cheaper than psychotherapy!


*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: