Tuesday, February 3, 2009

WALKING AND TALKING

I'm lucky to have a nice 'pool' of friends who enjoy walking, who live near enough so that we can get together, and who are fairly dedicated to walking. I've pushed myself to maintain a greater degree of accountability with my walks, so I've added a couple of pre-arranged walks. To my usual weekly routine of walking with Sally on Thursday and Saturday or Sunday (some weekends, both), linedancing (just another form of walking) Sunday evening and Wednesday, I've now added Laurie on Tuesday evenings and Stephanie on Monday evenings. Other days, Kathy G. and I are able to walk during the day if the weather and our schedules permit.

So, happy day! Some days I walk more than once! Some Thursdays, both walk AND dance, if I don't dance on Wednesday. That gives me ONLY Friday's off - and I'll walk then if the weather is great of someone asks!

Having a walking buddy also increases the intensity of the walk. Why? Because, you gotta talk while you're walking. Makes it a better aerobic workout. Further, we're more likely to walk farther or longer if we have a walking buddy. Try it! Ask your friends. Find a common meeting place - outside in good weather, a mall or Big Box store in bad weather. Walk in place if you have to. Join the Y or other gym and walk on the track. But, WALK! Don't give up. It gets easier and more fun.

If you start only walking a few minutes at a time, that's okay. I know it's hard to think of driving somewhere that takes you 20 minutes to get there only to walk for 10 minutes. But, DO IT - because in a couple weeks, you'll be increasing your walking time and intensity. And, you'll FEEL so good.


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: