Friday, February 13, 2009

GOT $$ ?

One of the things I appreciate about walking is that it's almost free. Except for a good pair of shoes (and some nice socks for me), one can walk anywhere at any time for free.

However, do you know there are companies out there that want to make a buck off us? Of course you do. They advertise their shoes all the time. Of course, those are RUNNING shoes they're pushing - but they make walking shoes too.

Of course, there are treadmills that walkers can use as well as joggers. Pedometers are nice additions to your wardrobe if you want to pace yourself. Body Mass Indicators are just cruel! Really.





Now comes the GPS people. You know. Those things in new cars that tell you to turn left at the next stop and so forth to find your destination. Garmin is one of the big names in that field. Garmin has figured out how to put a GPS on your wrist. To track your walk (well, they say 'run'). This is how it works. For the (gulp) princely sum of from about $100 to about $300, you can purchase a device that looks like a wrist watch. Never mind the GPS that's already in your cell phone. You can't locate yourself or track your progress with that one. This GPS is designed just for exercise.

On the low end, the Garmin device will monitor your heart rate and your pace. On the higher end, this little device will report this and more to your home computer so you can keep track of where you've trod and how fast - with your heart rate monitored, of course.

I much prefer my wrist watch or the clock on my cell phone to determine how far I've walked and I don't need a GPS to find my way around my neighborhood or the mall. But, if you're a dedicated walker or jogger and travel a lot, it MIGHT be worth looking into.

Go to www.garmin.com to check it out.


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: