Friday, January 1, 2010

I RESOLVE TO MAKE NO RESOLUTIONS...

this year or ever. Talk about a set up for disaster! That would be it for me.

Today, January 2, 2010, is cooooold in St. Louis. Sunny but cold and it's windy. I just took the dog for a walk of about 2 miles. I don't walk her often since I usually have a human walking partner and not paying full attention to the dog results in things like a broken wrist for me. But, she's been stuck inside with the bad weather, too, so I walked her up to the park where it's even windier.

While walking, my Ipod died. A recharging issue, I hope. But, since I couldn't sing along, I got to thinking about reflection. How often do we give ourselves time for reflection? Way too often, my 'reflection' is done in my head while I'm trying to get to sleep. Not really sleep inducing to go over the bad things I've done, the errors and omissions of my days, what I shoulda, coulda, woulda done.

Several world religions have built in periods of reflection. Before Lent, a lot of my friends spend some time reflecting on their lives and what they'll give up for Lent. Yom Kippur is a 24 hour period, during which one is to ask persons and God for forgiveness for prior bad acts. The Twelve Steps has a couple of steps devoted to inventory and making things right. That sort of thing. Requires a lot of reflection.....

Walking is a good time for reflection. It's also a good time to do some 'head time' to escape from some of those realities we've reflected on and found ourselves lacking - or found others lacking. Escaping from these issues can be both refreshing and helpful. The past (and that includes just a couple of minutes ago) is something that seldom deserves close observation on a daily basis. It's fine to glance at the past - but impolite to stare.

So, while you walk today, give yourself permission to do a bit of reflecting. Then, move on - both physically and mentally - to a healthier way of thinking and living. Let walking be a tool for your wellbeing.


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

3 comments:

Kathy G said...

Great post.

I actually walked by myself on New Year's Eve (and chose not to bring any type of music player, because the earpieces aren't comfortable under a winter hat). It was amazing the things I had a chance to think about. Amazingly enough, I also OBSERVED more.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your blog on freecycle. :) We have a walking group here in Maryland Heights and I need encouragement to keep going though it is freezing outside! Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your blog on freecycle. :) We have a walking group here in Maryland Heights and I need encouragement to keep going though it is freezing outside! Happy new year!