Monday, January 4, 2010

CURES AND SUCH

One day last week, I was treated to lunch by a firm that specializes in treating opiate addiction. The team that called on my office consisted of a psychologist, John Crum, and two support staff, Lisa and Teresa Taca. John's business partner is Arturo Taca, Jr. MD who is a phychiatrist. Turns out Art's dad was an intern at the hospital I worked at in the 1970's. He was a happy, talented man who had been in practice only a few years when he passed away suddenly, leaving behind his wife and five kids.

Fast forward all these years, and Arturo's son and two of his sisters are working in a field close to my heart. What does this have to do with walking, you're thinking. This team uses medications and cognitive behavior therapy as the base of their treatment program - but they also emphasize lifestyle changes including exercise.

Since they were receptive, I gave them my walking 'business' card. I hope they'll check out the blog and refer some patients here for some encouragement. My thoughts about incremental increases in physical activity - starting slow but staying steady - seem to mesh well with the work this addiction team is doing.

Besides, walking never HURT anyone! Nothing to lose and lots to gain - wellbeing, physical health, a good outlook. Can you name more?


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: