Thursday, May 14, 2009

MAKING LISTS

I have a bunch of friends who are really well organized, have tidy homes, run errands in proper order, cook according to menus they prepare with food they purchase at the grocery store from the lists they've written. I envy them. This sense of organization eludes me.

But, I have gotten a handle on one thing. Making lists when I need to get things done. I don't do it on a daily basis for things like errands and the grocery store. But, when I get especially busy, like around the holidays, I make lists of everything I have to do and use those lists.

Lists are magical! Really! If I write something on a piece of paper, like a list, I'm far more likely to get it done than if I just make a mental note.

You, like me, probably here all the TV gurus like Dr. Phil talk about 'putting yourself on the list'. I usually find that amusing. Yeah, right. I'm going to write my name at the top of the list of all the things I have to do. What? Am I a chore?

No, not a chore - but I have things I want to get done and things I 'need' to get done. Those lists need to be merged and prioritized. Now, I get it.

Here's what works for me. If I write down something, I'm likely to do it. It's kind of like a promise to myself. So, if I write that I'm going for a walk at 5 PM today, then it's far more likely that I'll actually go for that walk than if I just have a plan that after work, and after I get home, and after I empty the dishwasher, and after I get dinner started, and........

Well, you get the idea. If I wait til all those things get done, I'll never have time to go for a walk.
So, I have to PUT MYSELF on the list. I write down that I'll take a walk - and I will! Try it. See if it works for you.

Later, I'll tell you another story about writing promises to yourself.



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

1 comment:

Roshni said...

And, probably what he means by putting yourself on the list, is to get some time for yourself rather than being dictated by the list every hour of the day!!