Monday, May 18, 2009

GOING DOWN

If you have bad knees, you may well find climbing hills or stairs easier than going down them!

I have a short, very steep stretch of pavement near my house. I mean steep! I don't enjoy climbing it - but I positively hate walking down it. Not only do I feel like I might fall off and roll down it, I find that it's harder on my knees to descend it than to ascend it.

Having had both knees replaced, this hill is not the challenge it once was. But, if you have any knee problems - or maybe other joint issues - you may find that walking down steep inclines is hazardous to your health.

Take it slow. Hold onto something if you can - like a handrail. Pay attention to your footing so that you don't take a misstep.

Then, don't worry about it. There's not much aerobic benefit to walking DOWN hill! Much more beneficial to trudge up that hill. Read my article on Hilly Strategies for getting up those hills.

Of course, if you walk outside, you're likely to have to walk down hills if you walk up them. I actually have found a regular walk in my neighborhood which is almost all uphill. Really! Look around your area and see if you can find such a trail. If you're able to walk in a circle rather than 'there and back', you'll likely find a course that'll work to your aerobic advantage by keeping you on the uphill. Work up to that cuz it's really good for your heart - and your head. Imagine the sense of accomplishment you'll get going up and down hill if all you've ever walked is level pavement!



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: