Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Gym Calls






I finally broke down and joined a gym!  I hate the gym.  What caused me to pay money to join a place I don't like and don't want to be?  Two things.  First, it's been dreadfully cold around here and with the Christmas rush at the malls, there's really no sensible place to walk.  Second, a friend joined with me and we walk together and work on a few other pieces of equipment too.

That said, I've been dragging in a way that is unusual for me.  The gym has almost become a refuge.  My asthma has been giving me mucho problems the past couple weeks, causing me to not be able to walk outside in the cold wind.  That's an asthma trigger for me and I am pretty conscientious about avoiding wet, cold wind.  But, it or house dust (yes, I have a legitimate excuse to not dust or vacuum!) got me and I've been suffering.

Too bad that my legs don't know the rest of me is sick!  If I don't walk at least 20 minutes each day, I cannot sleep at night because I get terrible leg cramps.  But, that 20 minute walk seems to be the cure for my version of restless leg.  So, even with no voice and crummy breathing, I've been able to get my 20 to 30 minutes in on a treadmill at the gym.  Kris joins me and we chat.  I croak and she tries to hear me from her treadmill 12 inches away.  Good thing she's patient and tolerates my croaking and complaining.

I've always heard that if you're sick from the neck up you can continue your regular workout regimen and if you're sick from the neck down, you should not.  Well, my chest is definitely lower than my neck and my neck and chest have been sick.  But, walking has made me feel better.  Every. Time.

So, my advice for you is to WALK.  No matter what.....well, quietly, I'll whisper that part.  Shhh.  No matter what.  Not, no matter what - but if you can stand and put one foot in front of another - get a friend to poke at you til you get off your derriere and walk some.  Whatever amount works for you.  But, some is better than none.  At least for me - and I'm the writer around her, right?

BTW, that picture above is NOT me!  She's way cuter - and younger - and leaner - and....



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. I know it's tough to keep going when you're not 100%. It's good you have a friend to keep you on track.