Friday, February 11, 2011

OLD BRAINS?

How old is your brain? Would you like it to be younger? Well, who wouldn't??

According to an article published in the February 3, 2011 St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a study of 120 people between the ages of 55 and 80 were divided into two groups, one who walked on a flat track three times a week for 40 minutes each time. The other group began and stretching and weights program.

Before, at the half way point, and after the exercise regimens began, the participants gave blood samples, performed spatial memory exercises, and were given brain MRI.

The walkers demonstrated a 2.12 percent increase in the size of the hippocampus, a part of the brain where memories are stored. The other group demonstrated a 1.4 percent decrease in the size of the hippocampus.

So, for all my friends out there who are lifting and trying to get me to go to the gym, I'll walk instead. In fact, I might actually remember where I'm walking while the lifters (and stretchers) might not recall how to get to the gym. (I really do hope that is not the case!)

One more reason to put on your shoes and get walking!



***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

Good news-walking helps your memory. Bad news-you need some weight bearing exercises (like weight lifting) to maximize bone strength. The conclusion: do some of both!

Sue Pinner said...

Hi..thanks for popping by and glad you are inspired by the wallpaper patchwork
Always thought walking was best..now l know for sure lol
Thanks for sharing that gem...'cos l'm getting older by the day...my life is so much fun l'm fast running out of time so l need to remember every minute lol
hugs X