Friday, July 31, 2009

My 'Secret' Trail

I decided to walk around the grounds of the grade school that is just a few blocks from my house. I'd never been on the school premises except to drop off paper in their recycle bins. My son had recently walked the grounds and indicated that it was a nice school.

It helped that a bag of 'freecycle' clothing had been abandoned on my front porch for weeks. There's also a clothing donations box on the school grounds. So, I slung the bag over my shoulder and set off for the school.

The first thing I noticed about the school which I pass almost daily but never get a good look at was that there are two handball-like courts built into the front of the school! I played racquetball for years and thought this might be a neat place for my daughter to practice her tennis shots. Alas, the 'courts' are in very bad repair and are kiddie-sized. No idea what their actual intended use might be.

The grounds had been recently resurfaced, with a fresh coat of paint defining parking areas, hop scotch grids, and a variety of other games I can only guess at. There's also a shiny new kiddie playground at the back of the school. While walking the perimeter of the grounds, I noticed an asphalt trail that disappeared in woods behind the school. So, I disappeared in the woods on that trail.

It's a very short, uphill climb through a heavily wooded acre of land. The trail ends in a residential cul de sac I'd never walked in. But, I was oriented and knew how to loop around the subdivision to get back home without retracing my steps. Here's the loop:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

From the red Point A, trace a line down and to the right to a cul de sac off a street named Courtland Place. That's where the trail goes. I walked down the cul de sac to the next cross street two blocks away, turned right and walked back to the main street, Hanna Road, where our local Senior High is, then back home via Hanna Road. Actually, I walked down behind the High School and took a couple laps on their nice, padded track, climbed stairs up behind the parking lot and tennis courts, and strolled through the subdivision directly across Hanna Road from the elementary school.

I LOVE the little trail. It's so shady that the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. I walked the same trail the next day but turned left through the subdivision to take another route home. This little trail seems like my own secret. But, now, of course, I've shared it with you. I'm on the lookout for other similar little trails. If you know of any in this area, please share!

There was an extra little treat in that I got to walk within a few feet of a Red Tailed Hawk who was stalking something in the grass near the playground. I've got one hanging out in my back yard these days, preying on my albino squirrels. Such is nature.






***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: