Tuesday, July 7, 2009

ANNGIE AND THE 'NEW' TRAIL - A BALLWIN, MO ADVENTURE

I found a new trail! And, a new walking friend. Both on the same day and walk. Lucky me.

Anngie and her King Charles Spaniel, Lucy, were minding their own business when I accosted them the other day. I had just found a great little paved trail and couldn't find it's name. Further, I wasn't sure where I was! So, as is my habit, I began talking to the next person who crossed my path. Enter Anngie and Lucy. Anngie didn't know the name of the trail, but she knew where we were and that the trail is about a half mile long. She and Lucy were headed in the opposite direction from me, heading back to the point I had picked up the trail. So, I asked if they'd mind if I walked along.

This little trail runs along a creek between two subdivisions in Ballwin, Missouri. I entered it from Flesher Lane and exited at its western end on Corral. I didn't take either of the 'branches', two foot bridges that crossed the creek and headed off into other subdivisions. The trail is asphalt paved and contains a couple of nice hills. And, it's just lovely - shady and cool. I felt like I was walking in deep woods rather than behind tract homes about a quarter mile from one of the busiest roads in St. Louis County, Manchester Road.

Anngie and Lucy were very pleasant walking companions. Our walk together lasted only about 20 minutes, but we got to know each other a bit and passed the time I needed to wait to pick up my son.

I plan to walk this trail again and search out others too. How did I find it? I had an hour to kill and hadn't had my walk that day. My regular Tuesday evening walking partner had to work late, so I chose to use the hour I needed to wait for my son to walk in the subdivision streets near where I parked. There were three cul de sacs and the trail 'head' was at the end of the third cul de sac. Had I not walked all the way to the end of Fleshman, I wouldn't even have seen the trail!

I've mapquested and called Parks Departments in the entire West County area, looking for trails like this one. I haven't had much luck. Either I'm not asking the right questions or these trails are not properly catalogued. If you know of a trail like this one in West County or anywhere in the St. Louis area, please post it here for me. I'm always looking for new territory to cover.

More on this tomorrow....


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

One time we started walking through the subdivisions by the Clarkson library and found a nice route. We were on a trail part of the time, but of course I don't know any of the names of the streets to tell you where to go!

Try looking at the Website for each city to see what you can find.

Lisa said...

www.livestrong.com is supposed to have walking trail information. Doesn't work for my rural area, but might for folks in more populous places.