Thursday, April 9, 2009

WHAT ELSE QUALIFIES AS A 'WALK'?

In addition to the other ways we might like to vary our routine to keep our walks interesting, there are a few other things that might qualify as 'walks'. Biking is an activity that quickly comes to mind. Most of us who can walk can also bike safely. Maybe on a stationary bike rather than on a street or trail somewhere. There are also those stands upon which one can rest the rear bike axle on so that you can use your street bike as a stationary bike.

Linedancing is an activity that I sometimes substitute for walking. I suppose any kind of dancing would qualify - and might well be more challenging than walking. There are all kinds of dancing. From linedancing to jitterbug to swing to jazzercize. They are all some form of dancing and serve the same purpose that walking will - putting one into a great frame of mind, aerobic exercise to benefit the body, energy building.

Other stationary activities like stairsteppers and rowing machines might interest me on a day that walking holds no appeal. A stairstepper is not a great machine for me since I've had two knee replacements. But a rowing machine is fine. I just have to tailor the depth of the rowing to suit my body. This incorporates more upper body and might be a bit harder on the back. Not an activity to overdo.

There are far more strenuous activities like jumping rope and jogging that are not on my list because they are high impact and, again, not well suited to arthritic joints or other health issues. Water aerobics are safe for everyone if done properly. If you have easy access to water, I recommend this. Find a good teacher and work those joints out under water. You actually sweat underwater!!

What other activities are on your list?



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: