Saturday, December 6, 2014

Walking The Eleventh Step




Al-anon's Eleventh Step says:
 Sought through Prayers and Mediation to Improve our Conscious Contact with God, As We UNDERSTOOD HIM, Praying Only for the Knowledge of His Will for Us and the Power to Carry That out.

For me, walking is a good time for me to pray and/or meditate.  For me, walking outside makes me feel closer to my Higher Power (HP).  If you're not a 12 Step person, you'll still understand the meaning and impact of the words of this step.  Maybe you don't feel the need for closer contact with a HP or maybe you don't believe in a HP.  Then, just ignore my musings here and continue on your walk.

My journey through the 12 Steps has coincided in time and space with my beginning and continuing to walk.  The two are closely intertwined in my life.  Maybe that's why it has been fairly easy for me to find the time - force the time - for my walks as a priority over most other things in my life.  It's very valuable that my sweet husband both supports and encourages my 12 Step work as well as my walking.  Or maybe he just likes the positive changes he's seen in me over these past 16 years!

So waking and meditating.  When I walk with another person, there is less meditating as I'm busy carrying on a conversation with my walking buddy.  In my case, most of my walking buddies are either in program (al-anon) or they 'get' the concept of seeking closer contact with a HP.

If the idea of walking and meditating appeals to you, read this article that has specific guidelines for doing just that.  When I first began the process, I just figured it out on my own as I had no idea that anyone else was doing it.  That's also the main reason I began writing this blog as there was almost no information online about the benefits of walking - the noncompetitive type walking.  If you want to walk competitively, go for it!  But, this blog and my walking are for my heart, mind, and body and is not a competition.  

Wonderful weather outside aids in the process, but it is not necessary.  Today was a beautiful day in the neighborhood, so I took advantage and walked twice for a total of about 5 miles.  But even on rainy and dreary days, you can often find me outside, braving the elements, to feel that connection to my HP and to keep myself feeling better.  It works for me.


(This article was written on November 29, 2014, a sunny, wonderful day for walking outside.)





*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: