Monday, May 12, 2014

Convertible Days





There really are not too many 'convertible days' in St. Louis.  You know.  Those sunny, but not too hot days when you would happily pluck the top off your car and drive around with the wind blowing through your hair.  In St. Louis, it's either too hot, too cold, too wet, or just too humid to genuinely enjoy having the convertible top down.


Back in my early days of owning cars, my first two were old beaters with rag tops.  The first one did not have a functioning heater/defroster, had all kinds of holes in the rag top, and gave a nice view of the pavement passing by under the shift stick that was on the floor.  The second was a bit nicer but I loved that first car better than any I've ever owned.


That car saw me through four years of college.  And, after I drove the 30 minutes from home to campus, I then had about a mile's walk up and down hills to my first class.  The university was on the site of a former golf course, so there were plenty of hills and dales.  And, only one place to park.  I did a lot of walking in all kinds of St. Louis weather.  Of course, I was typically underdressed because I was paying more attention to fashion than comfort.  Mini skirts, patterned pantyhose, and platform shoes.  No wonder I have bunions!


But, these past few days, I'd gladly trade my sweet hatchback car for the old Morris Minor of college days.  I'd love to have the relative freedom of long hair that pulled back into a pony tail, making it impervious to the whipping wind. 


But, in my convertible, I'd still be driving to a nearby park to take a hike.  I'd still choose a car like the hatchback so my favorite four-legged walking buddy would have her own place to ride.  And, I'm grateful for the advances in shoe technology (and my disinterest in fashion) that allow me greater comfort for my walks. 


A lot has changed since the late 1960's.  But, my need to walk has not.  And, the convertible would still work now - but only a few days a year. 




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: