Saturday, April 12, 2014

More 'Who Would You Walk With?'

I've written before about who I might want to walk with, alive or dead.  I've been thinking more about that lately.

I'd walk ONCE with my biological father to ask why he left us.  I would probably not like the answer as I don't think he'd have a reason good enough to counteract what his actions did to his two kids.  But, I'd take the opportunity. Once.

I'd love to walk with my sixth grade teacher, Mildred Lindholm.  She is the reason I became a teacher.  I had great difficulties in grade school and she put everything in proper perspective for me.  I bet I still have a lot to learn from her.

I'd love to walk with Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Oliver Sachs, Dick Clark, Yehudi Menuhin, Thomas Jefferson, Mary Baker Eddy, Lois W., and anyone who could explain algebra and geometry to me.

I'd ask Michelle Obama what she does to keep those buff arms of hers.  I'd ask Benjamin Franklin where he got all his great ideas and thank him for creating the first lending library.  I'd love to talk to Watson and Crick about DNA and genetics, Carl Sagan about the cosmos, St Francis of Assisi about his love of animals and giving away all of his money.

I'd walk with Muhammad and ask him if he thought modern Islam was what he had in mind.  I'd ask Jesus if  modern Christianity was what he had in mind.  I'd ask Moses if modern Judaism was what he had in mind.

I'd ask Billy why he committed suicide when so many of us loved him.  I'd walk with Mother Teresa and quiz her about her selflessness and if it was worth it.  I'd stroll with Picasso to discover why it was he saw the world in the geometric motifs he painted called Cubism.  I'd ask Mendel to explain his law so I could 'get' it.  I'd ask Dr. Seuss where he got his ideas for books. 

One way to walk with the people is to listen to recorded books while I walk.  Not everyone has a book to answer the questions I've posed.  But, there are enough available to keep me busy, thinking, and walking for many miles.  Right now, I'm listening to an Oliver Sachs book so engaging that I forget how far I've walked. 

Walking and talking.  Walking and listening.  Walking and singing.  Walking and observing.  Walking and hearing the sounds of nature and/or the city.

Oh, the places you'll go!



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: