Monday, January 6, 2014

That's What Friends Are For




Do you have any walking buddies?  I do!  I find that having friends I enjoy walking with is extremely motivational for me.  I walk with one friend twice a week, another friend three to four times a week, and two others on a less frequent basis.

When you get started on a regular regimen of walking, even when you look forward to  your walks, there are days that it's just hard to force yourself to lace up those shoes and hit the bricks.  Having a friend who counts on you to share the walk will get you over that hump every time!

So, lately, when I've been ailing, Kris nudged me, going so far as to pick me up a couple days to hit the treadmill at the gym when I was feeling crummy and very unmotivated.  I could only last 20-30 minutes on that treadmill, but every time it made me feel better.

So, now, the tables are turned.  Kris has the crud and I was able to pick her up today and get to the gym.  She has a habit of overdoing, so since I had the car keys, I limited our walk to 30 minutes.  I walked a bit faster on my treadmill, but she hung in for the 30 minutes and I had to tell her when the time was up.  From beginning to end, that 'work out' lasted 50 minutes, including drive time.

Everyone - and that means YOU - has an hour to give to yourself for walking or some other form of regular exercise.  For me, a day without walking or dancing means a night full of leg cramps and no sleep.  That's darn motivational for me.  So, I KNOW the short term fate that awaits me if I'm too lazy or sick or unmotivated to put in that little bit of time.  Even if it's a 20 minute walk in place in front of the TV.  I MUST DO IT.  The price for not doing it is too high for me.

So, since I love my friends, I sometimes push them a bit and they sometimes push me a bit.  Sometimes, the walk at the mall is 'puny' and I avoid the stairs if my asthma is being ugly.  Other times, I'm the one who can provide the little motivational edge to get a friend moving.

That's what friends are for.



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: