Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Power Of A Word




I wrote recently about using the site habitforge.com as a tool for changing behaviors.  I've been using it daily for a couple weeks.  One of the parts of habitforge is signing up to receive an email daily at a time that fits in with one's routine.  I chose 9 PM as that's when I'm sure to sign on to my personal email after settling down for the night.

So, there it is every evening.  A simple word to click on.  Yes or No.  The question?  Did I succeed in my personal goal - that one I set for myself a few weeks back - that day.  Yes or No.

Now that I've gotten used to seeing that email in my inbox, I kinda look forward to it.  But, better yet, I look forward to clicking on that Yes button!  I did that thing one more day.  I did that thing that was gonna be hard for me - I did it one more day.

I don't want to have to click the No button!

Years ago when I was working on my first inventory in my Twelve Step work, I heard a smart, experience man speak on the subject of writing an inventory.  Such an inventory (fearless and searching moral inventory) can be many things.  In my case, my first attempt was a resentment inventory.  That is, I made a list of all the people who had done me wrong - but I also made a list of those things I had done that were wrong.  But, that smart guy who spoke on the subject asked if he would lie to a piece of paper.  Yes!!!  I would!  But, I didn't.  I embraced the fearless part and just wrote down all the bad things I'd done in my past.

I won't lie to a piece of paper and I won't lie when that Yes/No button choice comes to my inbox every evening.  So, it comes to mind during the day when I have a choice to make - to further my goal or to 'relapse'.  It makes me think.  I am stronger at doing the right thing for myself cuz I want to click that Yes button that evening.

It works for me.  Have you tried it??




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: