Thursday, August 15, 2013

More Goals, HabitForge

I just ran across this website a couple weeks ago, checked it out, and immediately signed up!  It fits perfectly into my philosophy about walking - and what I've written before.  Charting your progress, marking on a calendar or elsewhere each day you've walked, is a great way to motivate yourself and have a clear picture of your progress - or lack thereof.

Since I walk 29 days a month, sometimes more than once a day, I have no need to track my walks, distance, or other data.  I threw away my pedometer when I was routinely getting in 10,000+ steps per day.

But, when I'm trying to instill a new behavior in myself, I find this sort of basic tracking is very useful.  Say I get up on a Thursday with no motivation to perform my new 'skill' or 'habit'.  I look at the calendar and see I did it every day that week - so I'm loathe to let Thursday pass without putting that X on my calendar when I've completed the activity.  Competing with myself is my best motivation.  If there's a genuine reason for not performing (like this asthma that's messing with me right now), I can write that down on the calendar too.  That acts as a reminder that I had a valid reason besides laziness or busyness for not performing.  Remember, you must be first on your own list so busyness is not an excuse.

In addition, this website offers another real plus.  The opportunity to encourage others with brief comments regarding their progress or words to remind them of their goal if they are faltering.  As with my Twelve Step work, I learn the value of service.  Service takes me out of my own head and gives me a better perspective.  If I'm encouraging someone else, I am also encouraging myself.  There is no loser in this process.  Everyone wins.  It's simple, free, and persistent - as the emails arrive in your inbox each day prompting you to plot your progress.

This is just a tool.  If you would like some encouragement or would like to encourage others, then it's a site worth your time to explore.  And, it's not just for walking.  Use it for any behavior you want to change or improve.  I've been using it to cut down on my late night snacks and to lower my carb intake.  Those little reminders in my inbox are great.  It works!




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: