Friday, May 10, 2013

Boosting Brain Power



Dateline:  NYTimes, April 16, 2013
Correspondent:  Gretchen Reynolds

Guess what!  Walking improves brain function.  Ahem...I think I've written about this before.  But, once again, I can quote a reliable, scientific source to bolster my opinion.  The research is in.  My hypothesis is affirmed.  Here are the specifics.

In tests with human females and rats of all genders, testing aerobic exercise (walking), weight training (fun with rats they say), and resistance training, walking wins, pretty much feet down.  Hands up!  Resistance training may add to the benefit - so lift your arms and use one of those elastic band thingies you can find at every corner Walgreen/CVS/Sams/Costco.  Weight training won't hurt your memory, but seems to have no benefit for it.

What this article didn't tell you?  Walking is more fun than resistance training or weight lifting.  Since I'm not a lover of the gym, walking is much easier for me to incorporate into my daily routine than either of the others - although there's not much excuse for ignoring resistance training.  I'm going to get some more of those bands and begin to incorporate some resistance training into my walks.  I have finally found a way to make a great thing better!




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: