Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Walking As Therapy

Can you walk off your problems?  Can you walk off your worries?  Can you walk off stress and unhappiness.  Well, yes!  Not ALL problems or all worries or all stress or all unhappiness.  But, a lot of those things will simply disappear as the result of a good walk.

Walking is also a perfect time to have a good conversation with your walking buddy, you dog, or your God.  Really!  Some of my most spiritual moments have come during walks when I thought I was walking alone.  But, I clearly wasn't.

I know that walking with a friend, talking about all that's going on in one's life - with job, kids, spouses, etc. - can certainly give a new perspective that diminishes the perceived problems.  Physical exercise itself can alleviate a lot of the stresses of our lives.

This message has been presented to me lately by two youngsters who attend the Alateen meetings for which I am an adult sponsor.  One is 14 and one is 16 - but both have quickly learned by working the 12 Steps that they want to make their lives better despite the adverse effects of alcoholic(s) in their lives.  Both were physically aggressive before this and have learned that hard physical exercise seems to inoculate them against the desire to be aggressive when they encounter problems.  That's quite a lesson to learn so young!

So, let's jump on that bandwagon and learn that we, too, can learn to cope better with the problems we encounter in the course of our daily activities by destressing with exercise as simple as walking.  It works!  It may not replace a psychiatrist, therapist, or other mental health professional - but it will make things better.  I guarantee it!



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: