Friday, March 1, 2013

A Cure For Pain



Many of us suffer from joint and/or muscle pain.  Osteoarthritis - the wear and tear type of arthritis that comes with aging - is rampant in our culture as we live longer, remain more active, but gain more weight.  Along with these lesser forms of pain, come chronic back pain, sciatica, neuropathy, and other ailments that are often treated with medications or surgery.

Now, a physician (and he's not alone) has written a book addressing non-surgical, non-medical therapies for pain.  Here's an excerpt from a recent interview:


What else can someone do to relieve pain besides take a prescription pain reliever or undergo a procedure?
A.
There are so many self-help things you can do. Something as simple as trying to do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise can help. With pain, you’re in a vicious cycle – you take more narcotics, your REM sleep decreases, and then you’re tired and you don’t want to exercise. If you can get through the first week or two of extra pain by doing the proper exercise, like 30 minutes of walking daily, long term that’s going to have an impact. Most people give up on simple walking, but it can have a huge impact long term.

End quote.

I totally agree with this doctor's philosophy.  I encourage you to read his entire interview here
 http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/stopping-pain-without-drugs/
and to look into getting a copy of his book.  I'm going to request it from my library right away.  If it's the gem I think it is, I'll buy it so I can be sure to have my own copy for reference.




*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: