Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Expensive Shoes

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I wear two kinds of shoes - New Balance and Birkenstock. That's about it. I also wear the pressure relief (memory foam) insoles that NB makes. They're wonderful.

About two years ago, at the encouragement of my orthopedist, I went to the NB store for my first pair of their shoes. The doc told me they would assure me of a proper fit. I normally wear a 9.5 A or B width (pretty narrow by today's standards) and the folks at NB put me in a size 10. Fine with me. The shoes were great, but later my doc wanted me to add the metarsal relief (pressure relief memory foam) insoles. So, back I went to the NB store. The shoes and insoles combo cost just under $150.

Now, this is expensive, but not excessively so, considering I don't have to pay a gym membership, the shoes last a good long time, and they're COMFORTABLE! However, I decided to go online to find a better buy on the NB shoes. I wanted another pair to trade off so the shoes would last longer. I found some great buys at various online sources. In the past two years, I've bought 4 pairs of walking shoes and a pair of cross-trainers for Zumba.

Imagine my utter surprise, when I searched online for another pair of insoles and found that I'VE BEEN ORDERING AND WEARING the wrong size NB shoes. I've been wearing size 9.5!
No wonder I'm having toe problems! I had scheduled a visit to the podiatrist and imagined having to order those $700 orthotics to get relief. Now, I think I'll wait til my newly purchased, PROPERLY FITTING shoes come in the mail.

Moral of the story - at least KNOW WHAT SIZE SHOE YOU WEAR! Now, you can all laugh at me at once........



***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: