Thursday, February 13, 2014

Oh, My Aching ______________!

Right now, it's my aching back.  This is new for me.  I have a variety of aches and pains, maybe more than the norm since I have fairly advanced osteoarthritis.  But, I try hard to not let these things define me or hold me back.  It does no good for me (or anyone) to give in to those aches and pains, to sit on the sofa, maybe feeling sorry for myself.  No good at all.

So, even with the new back pain, I've kept moving.  In fact, my back pain is the kind that is worse when sitting or lying down and better when standing.  How can that be???  So, I have a new regimen which includes lots of stretches before and after walking or other physical activities.  That does seem to help - but I want my old back back!

I am not very patient.  I'm a rotten patient for any doctor although I do try to follow through with what I've been recommended.  I have yet to have any tests since it seems clear that this pain is all muscular.  My husband is a physician and has diagnosed me for now.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it will fade away before long.

What do you do if/when you have aches and pains?  Do you walk/work through it or do you pamper yourself, hoping rest will cure you?  Of course, there are plenty of diagnoses which do require rest.  The old RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation.  Sprain your ankle, RICE is required.  Overwork your shoulder, RICE is recommended.  I'm using some of that myself.  Heat rather than ice.  Stretching rather than elevation.  But, rest?  Can't seem to get any since the pain is worse while sitting or lying.

My mantra here is 'This Too Shall Pass'.  It certainly is true most of the time.  Please keep YOUR fingers crossed that this works for me!  



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: